Here’s a cover letter sample that uses one of my favorite techniques: the “call and response.” It’s hard to miss, but I’ll point it out anyway.
In the body of the letter, Ricardo (not his real name) has two groups of bullet point statements. The first is JOB REQUIREMENTS, which is the “call” from the employer. These statements were taken word-for-word from the job posting.
The second group of statements is under the heading MY QUALIFICATIONS. That’s Ricardo’s “response” to the employer’s call. Point by point he responds to each requirement with wording that is different from what the employer wrote. And then he added one more relevant qualification.
This call-and-response technique is a great way to pass the initial screening of the recruiter.
Cover Letter Example for a Distribution/Warehouse Associate
99 Pleasant Drive
Watertown, NY 12345
February 2, 20xx
As I’ve detailed in my resume, the Distribution Associate 2 position you advertised on your company website appears tailor-made for my abilities and background:
- Ability to operate equipment in a safe and controlled manner.
- Ability to perform all required tasks within the scope of Distribution 2 to the level of established productivity required and in keeping with applicable Standard Operating Procedures, rules, established processes, and Quality guidelines.
- Highly dependable individual demonstrating key values including teamwork, integrity, honesty, and accountability.
- Received annual Safety Award for accident-free driving in performance of all required tasks and in keeping with applicable Standard Operating Procedures and Quality guidelines.
- Consistently rated as “exceeding production expectations” on monthly performance evaluations starting in 2007 to the present in a top Fortune 500 company.
- A flexible and approachable team player who works effectively with everyone from CEO to shipping/receiving staff.
- Focused worker who always sees projects through to completion.
I enclose my resume for your consideration, and I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you in person to further discuss your needs and my abilities. I can be contacted at any time by phone, (123) 555-5555, or by email, email@example.com.